How to Make Kebabs:
- Cut the ingredients into similar-size pieces and prepare as the recipe directs. If marinating, refrigerate 1 hour for fish and up to overnight for meat and poultry.
- Preheat a grill to high. Thread the ingredients onto skewers.
- Grill the kebabs, turning, until the ingredients are charred and cooked to desired doneness, 3 to 15 minutes.
If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 minutes before grilling.
- Steakhouse: Marinate cubed beef tri-tip in 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon each soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chopped parsley and thyme; add salt and pepper. Skewer with onion, mushroom and boiled potato; grill.
- Korean Beef: Marinate thinly sliced short ribs and scallion pieces in 1/3 cup each sugar and white wine, 3 tablespoons sesame oil, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 2 crushed garlic cloves and 1 grated Asian pear. Skewer so the meat lies flat; grill.
- Beef Kefta: Mix 1 pound ground beef, 2 minced shallots, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 2 teaspoons each cumin, coriander, paprika and dried mint, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Form 1-inch balls; skewer and grill.
- Stuffed Peppers: Make Beef Kefta mix (No. 3), adding 1/2 cup chopped olives. Pack into hollowed baby bell peppers, skewer and brush with olive oil. Grill; add salt and baste with lemon juice.
- Herbed Beef: Marinate cubed beef tri-tip in 1/2 cup olive oil, a smashed garlic clove, a pinch each of salt and red pepper flakes, and torn mixed herbs. Skewer and grill.