Jerk Chicken

This recipe comes from a guy in the UK who I follow on Instagram.  He adds a teaspoon of nutmeg, which neither my wife nor I like.  So I scrapped that and made a few other tweaks.  This has a really complex, lovely flavor.  I actually made these two nights ago and they were a hit.


Jerk Chicken Legs

By Erick Erickson
2 Scotch Bonnets or Habaneros Peppers
6 Green Onions
6 cloves garlic
Thumb sized piece of Ginger
1 medium yellow onion
3 limes
2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Oil
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
Chicken — all the same cut, preferably legs.  Use bone-in cuts.


Decide on the peppers.  If you leave in the seeds, you’ll have a very hot jerk marinade.  If you leave the seeds out, you’ll reduce the heat.

Rough chop all the vegetables and place them in a food processor or blender.  Add the herbs and spices.  Add the liquids and brown sugar.  Process until smooth.

Using chicken legs, make three shallow cuts across the meat. Add to a gallon ziplock bag.  Add in half the marinade.  Squeeze out the air and seal the bag.  Massage the chicken to coat the marinade evenly.  Marinate for at least 3 hours, but 12 hours will be amazing.

Get your grill ready with indirect heat by either putting coals to one side or turning on the grill on all sides for 15 minutes with medium heat, then turning off one side of the grill while leaving the other side on medium heat.

Add the chicken to the grill on the indirect side.  Flip after 15 minutes.  After the flip, heat the reserved marinade on the stove to boiling then reduce to simmer.  After the fifteen minutes are up, baste the chicken with the reserved marinade, leave for five minutes, flip and baste.  After five minutes check the internal temp.  If at 165º, remove.  Otherwise, flip the chicken a second time while moving to direct heat, baste one last time, and let the char develop over the direct heat until it gets to temperature.

Remember, the chicken will continue to heat up after it is off the grill.  It is safe to pull at 162º, then cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.